Thursday, February 6, 2014

Reflections on Open Educational Resources: Why Do I Want to Protect My Intellectual "Children"

Reflection on my views about openness was revealing.  For instance, I strongly believe that "all the world's knowledge belongs to all the world's people" and feel quite positive about sharing my hard won ideas with everyone, but when I think about others using my materials and perhaps changing them in ways that do not reflect my core values, my heart constricts and stomach clenches.  Even sharing on wikieducator bothers me because someone could go in and change my pages in ways that do not reflect what I truly value.   I find myself caught.  Perhaps I would just as soon not have my name associated with every use of my materials...in which case I found myself wondering if I even want attribution!!!   On second reflection, though, everyone who has ever written or spoken in public has run the risk of misinterpretation.  Perhaps my tasks are to "profess" what I know to be true, admit what I don't know, and engage others in dialogue about things that we can learn about together and we say in the rural US "let the chips fall where they may".

1 comment:

  1. There's a key tension here Joyce, between the danger of being misinterpreted, and the confidence in feeling that anyone who knows your work won't do so. I think as long as people attribute content used then it is always within the power of the reader/learner to drill back and find the context. Of course not everyone will do that, but that's a danger we have to accept I think.

    ReplyDelete